- Openings for 2022-23 and 2023-24 School Years
To Apply: Please complete the online application.
Location and School Description: River Grove is a public charter school serving students in grades K-6, located in the beautiful Wilder Forest. Our incredible campus setting, on 73 acres of wooded and lake property, is utilized on a daily basis to provide a unique learning program that emphasizes the outdoors and place-based learning. Project-based learning is incorporated in each classroom.
Our address is 14189 Ostlund Trail North, Marine on St. Croix, MN 55
Section I: General Information
- Classification Title: Paraprofessional/ Education Assistant
- Immediate Supervisor: Special Education Coordinator
- FLSA Status: Full Time-Hourly / Non-exempt
The paraprofessional / educational assistant works under the supervision of the Special Education Coordinator and in cooperation of the supervising licensed special education teacher. The job of Special Education Paraprofessional was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional program within assigned classroom with specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of students with special needs in the regular classroom, resource room or in a self-contained classroom; assisting in implementing plans for instruction; monitoring student behavior; providing information to appropriate school personnel; and attending IEP meetings as requested. Maintain confidentiality of student and family information as required under FERPA.
Essential duties outlined below are intended as “representative” examples of the level, nature and decision making expected of positions assigned to this classification. The duties below are not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and tasks performed by the employees assigned to this classification.
Section II: Essential Duties
- Adapts instructional materials, equipment, or strategies, as directed by the teacher or case manager to accomplish instructional objectives and student needs.
- Reinforces instructional material presented by the teacher with students individually or in small groups. Works through assignments as prescribed. Provides supplemental tutoring, job skills, guided practice and other instructionally relevant activities to students as directed by the supervising teacher(s).
- Assists students with daily living skills which includes, but not limited to dressing, undressing, toileting, eating, and overall hygiene.
- Provides behavioral support for students as directed by the teacher/case manager related to IEP goals, objectives and behavioral plans.
- Provides support in the school and community for on-the-job training related to a student’s IEP plan, goals and objectives.
- Provides supervision of students during non instructional times (such as school lunch, recess, field trips or other off site activities). Escorts and assists students to and from classes.
- Collaborates and communicates with the case manager and other staff regarding student observations, needs, issues, progress, behaviors, etc.
- Collects academic and behavior data as requested by Special Education Teacher
- Participates in or provides input for meetings when requested
- Knowledge of use of Adaptive equipment for special education student use.
- Special Education Transportation duties may be assigned
- Performs other duties of a comparable level or type, as required.
Section III: Work Requirements and Characteristics
For all paraprofessionals employed to work in programs whose role in part is to provide direct support to students with disabilities, the school board in each district shall ensure that:
- before or beginning at the time of employment, each paraprofessional must develop sufficient knowledge and skills in emergency procedures, building orientation, roles and responsibilities, confidentiality, vulnerability, and reportability, among other things, to begin meeting the needs, especially disability-specific and behavioral needs, of the students with whom the paraprofessional works;
- annual training opportunities are required to enable the paraprofessional to continue to further develop the knowledge and skills that are specific to the students with whom the paraprofessional works, including understanding disabilities, the unique and individual needs of each student according to the student’s disability and how the disability affects the student’s education and behavior, following lesson plans, and implementing follow-up instructional procedures and activities; and
- School wide process obligates each paraprofessional to work under the ongoing direction of a licensed teacher and, where appropriate and possible, the supervision of a school nurse.
(MN Statute 125A.08 INDIVIDUALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAMS.)
Physical Job Requirements:
- Physical requirements associated with the position can be best summarized as follows:
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects in the performance of the job. Job involves standing and walking for prolonged periods.
- Hazardous Working Conditions
- Duties are generally performed in a typical classroom and or resource room setting where there may be some environmental hazards and risks. Employee(s) may be exposed to some disagreeable conditions involving human/student contact, verbal outbursts, physical aggression, exposure to body fluids and the like.
Section IV: School Mission
Our mission is to utilize the natural resources, history, arts, and civic stewardship of the community as a foundation for the study of language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education, art, and other curriculum subjects. The place-based learning environment will be student centered, designed by teachers, and reinforced and supported by the local community.
To Apply for this Opportunity:
- Complete the on-line application.
- Submit a resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word or .pdf format.
- References will be requested after the initial interview.
- The Special Education position is offered as a full-time hourly position during the school year. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be negotiated commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Starting hourly range is commensurate with experience.
- Applications will be considered as they are received and until the position is filled.
- Please submit any questions regarding this position description or the Marine Area Community School to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in this unique and inspirational leadership opportunity!