Welcome New Students for 2023-24!
For the 2023-24 school year, prospective students may submit kindergarten through sixth-grade Pre-Enrollment Applications beginning 9:00am on Monday, December 5, 2022.
Those who apply during the Open Enrollment period will be placed in a Lottery, which will be held on February 28, 2023 at 9:30am.
Applications received after the Open Enrollment period ends are added to the list for an enrollment invitation or the waiting list (depending on the number of open spaces in the grade applied for) in the order they are received.
Please see below for complete new student information and timeline.
NEW STUDENTS: General Timeline of the Admissions Process and Important Dates
Monday, December 5, 2022, to Friday, February 24, 2023
Open Enrollment Period for 2023-24
- 2023-24 Pre-Enrollment Applications accepted for the school year that begins the following fall.
- Applications received at any time during this Open Enrollment period are equally likely to be offered a classroom position, with the exception of board-approved enrollment preferences (see Enrollment and Lottery Policy on Documents and Policies page).
- All applications received during Open Enrollment are put in a lottery to determine the placement in class and order on the waiting list for any available openings.
- Parents/guardians are fully responsible for completing the correct Pre-Enrollment Application within the Open Enrollment Period to be included in the Lottery.
- Because we are a public charter school in Minnesota, students who attend River Grove must maintain a primary Minnesota residency. This is due to the Minnesota Department of Education’s interpretation regarding out-of-state student enrollment.
February 11, 2023, 10:00 to 12:00pm
February 24, 2023
Open Enrollment Ends
February 28, 2023, 9:30am
Lottery for 2023-24
February 25, 2023, to the Beginning of the School Year
Pre-Enrollment Applications Will Continue to be Accepted
Pre-Enrollment Applications will continue to be accepted. Students are placed in a class (or if the class is full, on the waiting list) on a first-come, first-served basis with the exception of board-approved enrollment preferences (see Enrollment and Lottery Policy on Documents and Policies page).
Starting Mid-March 2023
Offers of Enrollment for Kindergarten
Kindergarten offers of enrollment begin in mid-March. Emails will be sent with links to the official on-line Enrollment Form. Until last day of July of the upcoming school year, applicants will have five (5) business days from the date the email was sent to return the signed Enrollment Form with a photocopy or scan of the child’s birth certificate. Starting August 1 of the upcoming school year, applicants will have two (2) days to complete the enrollment form.
- Prior to the Start of School – Parents must schedule Early Childhood Screening and registration appointments within your own resident school district.
- Early Childhood Screening is a mandated program for all children entering kindergarten in Minnesota. The district census list of 3- to 4-year-olds is used to obtain names and send notices about screening dates.
- If you are unsure as to whether your child is on the census, you may check with the Stillwater’s Enrollment Office at 651.351.8412. Appointments for the screening typically last one hour and are held at the Early Childhood Family Center, 1111 Holcombe Street S., Stillwater MN 55082, and can be made by calling 651.351.4022.
- If you do not live within District 834, check with your own resident school district’s enrollment office.
Late March, 2023, to Late Summer
First- Through Sixth-Grade Offers of Enrollment
First- through sixth-grade offers of enrollment are made based on class openings using the confirmed returning student list and established new student waiting list. Emails will be sent with links to the online Official Enrollment Form. Until last day of July of the upcoming school year, applicants will have five (5) business days from the date the email was sent to return the signed Enrollment Form. Starting August 1 of the upcoming school year, applicants will have two (2) days to complete the enrollment form.
As long as spaces are available, River Grove plans to continuously enroll students for the 2023-24 school year. If a student completes an application for River Grove for the 2023-24 year after offers of enrollment for the next year go out to other new applicants, and the class becomes full because of new applicants, that student is placed on the bottom of the waiting list for the 2023-24 school year.
Adjustments to Waiting List Placement
To allow families to remain together, if a student’s sibling officially enrolls, the student’s place on the waiting list may move to the top of the list. In other words, siblings of students are moved up the waiting list when a sibling enrolls in the school.
For example, if a kindergartner enrolls for the next year, his/her waitlisted sibling will move ahead on the sibling’s grade-level waiting list.
Please see Enrollment and Lottery Policy on Documents and Policies page for further information on enrollment priorities.
Spring Parent Info Meeting
Summer Parent Info Meeting
Invitations to Enroll will be offered as classroom openings become available. All of our families are asked to inform River Grove if their school plans change as soon as possible. The goal is for every student in every grade to be able to participate in the first day of school with their new classmates.
RETURNING (Currently Enrolled) Students Who Wish to Enroll for 2023-24
Friday, January 27, 2023
Intent to Return Form Open
The returning student form for all currently enrolled students will be posted.
Friday, February 17, 2023
Intent to Return Form Due
The Intent to Return student form for all returning students is due to school office. This information is vital to the school’s planning and budgeting for the following school year.
A student shall be automatically enrolled for the next school year until formally withdrawn from the School. Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 124E.11, paragraph (g) states, “Once a student is enrolled in the school, the student is considered enrolled in the school until the student formally withdraws or is expelled under the Pupil Fair Dismissal Act in sections 121A.40 to 121A.56.”
Placement (Invitations to Enroll) for new 1st to 6th graders will be offered as classroom openings become available. All of our families are asked to inform River Grove if their school plans change as soon as possible. The goal is for every student in every grade to be able to participate in the first day of school with their new classmates.